9 Facebook Ad Targeting Tips for More Conversions
One of many key benefits of social adverts over different types of promoting is the flexibility to laser-target your viewers.
Sensible Facebook advert focusing on may help you attain the people who find themselves most certainly to be excited about your model. With superior focusing on choices, you may go a step additional and attain the people who find themselves prone to be excited about particular merchandise, and who’ve already proven they’re prepared to buy.
All of this helps you obtain increased conversion charges together with your present advert finances. And present us a Facebook advertiser who doesn’t love the next ROI!
Bonus: Get the Facebook advertising cheat sheet for 2022. The free resource includes key audience insights, recommended ad types, and tips for success.
Facebook ad targeting helps you define the audience that will see your ads. It can improve the effectiveness of your campaigns — but it will also affect the cost of your ads (in very simple terms, reaching a larger audience is more expensive than reaching a smaller one).
On Facebook, ad targeting is based on three different types of target audience:
- Core audiences, which you target based on demographics, behaviors, and location.
- Custom audiences, which allow you to reconnect with people who have already interacted with your business.
- Lookalike audiences, which allow you to target people similar to your best customers but who may not know about your business yet.
The Audience tab in Meta Business Suite Insights affords a ton of worthwhile info that may aid you perceive your Facebook followers. You’ll be able to then use the information to discover ways to goal potential new followers and clients.
It’s such a treasure trove that we’ve acquired a complete article devoted to using Audience Insights for better targeting.
However our favourite Viewers Insights technique is to make use of the data it supplies to study who you’re competing with on Facebook, then goal your opponents’ present followers.
Right here’s a fast how-to:
- Open your Audience Insights dashboard in Meta Enterprise Suite and choose Potential viewers.
- Click on the Filter button on the highest proper of the web page and use the essential focusing on choices like location, age, gender, and pursuits to begin constructing a Facebook viewers that matches your goal audience persona.
- Don’t click on Create viewers simply but. As a substitute, scroll all the way down to the High pages part to see which pages your goal customers already join with. Copy and paste this listing right into a spreadsheet or textual content file.
- Return to the Filter choice device. Clear your present filters and sort the identify of one in every of your opponents’ Facebook Pages within the Pursuits field. Not all opponents will come up as an curiosity, however for those who do…
- Take a look at the offered demographics info to see in the event you can acquire any further viewers insights that can aid you goal your adverts extra exactly.
- Create a brand new viewers primarily based on these new demographic insights, then check it towards one in every of your present audiences.
- Or, merely click on Save and also you’ve acquired an viewers primarily based in your opponents’ followers.
After all, you may additional goal this viewers to ensure you get the most effective match for your particular enterprise and marketing campaign targets, however it is a nice strategy to begin discovering related folks on Facebook.
You’ll find extra particulars in our Audience Insights how-to article.
Remarketing is a robust Facebook focusing on technique to attach with potential clients who’ve already expressed curiosity in your merchandise.
Utilizing Facebook Customized Audiences focusing on choices, you may select to indicate your adverts to individuals who have just lately considered your web site, individuals who have checked out gross sales pages, and even individuals who have checked out particular merchandise. You can even select to exclude individuals who have bought just lately, in the event you suppose they’re unlikely to transform once more quickly.
Earlier than you need to use Facebook Customized Audiences primarily based on web site visits, you’ll want to set up the Facebook Pixel.
As soon as that’s executed, right here’s learn how to create your remarketing viewers:
- Go to Audiences together with your Adverts Supervisor.
- From the Create Viewers dropdown, select Customized Viewers.
- Beneath sources, click on Web site.
- Select your pixel.
- Beneath Occasions, select which sorts of guests to focus on.
- Title your viewers and click on Create viewers.
Another choice is to create a customized viewers primarily based on information synced out of your CRM. For this feature, you’ll create your viewers inside Hootsuite Social Promoting.
- In Hootsuite Social Advertising, create a New Superior Viewers.
- Select to goal present clients.
- Click on Join Add CRM account to attach your CRM information from Mailchimp, Hubspot, Salesforce, or whichever CRM answer you presently use.
- You will get fairly particular about who you need to goal together with your viewers primarily based on whether or not they’re present clients or leads, and whether or not they have purchased inside a selected timeframe.
You’ll be able to then use your superior viewers to create a Facebook advert marketing campaign instantly inside Hootsuite Social adverts.
A bonus right here is that you just’re not counting on Facebook pixel information, which can be much less strong for the reason that introduction of iOS 14.5.
Discover extra particulars in our weblog put up on how to use Facebook Custom Audiences.
Facebook Lookalike Audiences assist you to construct focused lists of potential clients who share traits with all of the individuals who already purchase from you.
Worth-based lookalike audiences assist you to extra particularly goal individuals who share traits together with your Most worthy clients.
Earlier than you may incorporate buyer worth right into a lookalike viewers, you’ll want to create a buyer worth customized viewers:
- Go to Audiences inside your Adverts Supervisor.
- From the Create Viewers dropdown, select Customized Viewers, then select Buyer listing because the supply.
- Select your buyer listing, then from the worth column dropdown, select which column to make use of for buyer worth and click on Subsequent.
- Click on Add and Create.
Now, you need to use this listing to create a value-based Lookalike viewers to focus on your highest worth potential clients:
- Go to Audiences inside your Adverts Supervisor.
- From the Create Viewers dropdown select Lookalike Viewers.
- Select the value-based customized viewers you created above as your supply.
- Choose the areas to focus on.
- Choose your viewers dimension. Smaller numbers extra exactly match your supply viewers traits.
- Click on Create Viewers.
Discover extra particulars in our guide to Facebook Lookalike Audiences.
Facebook helps you perceive how related your advert is to your chosen viewers primarily based on three advert relevance diagnostics:
- High quality rating
- Engagement fee rating
- Conversion fee rating
All measures are primarily based in your advert’s efficiency in comparison with different adverts focusing on the identical viewers.
As Facebook says, “Individuals want to see adverts which are related to them. And when companies present their adverts to related audiences, they see higher enterprise outcomes. That’s why we think about how related every advert is to an individual earlier than delivering an advert to that individual.”
The entire level of Facebook advert focusing on is to get your advert in entrance of the particular viewers that’s most certainly to take motion primarily based on that precise advert. That is the very definition of relevance.
Listed below are some easy methods to assist enhance your rating scores for Facebook’s advert relevance diagnostics:
- Concentrate on high quality, together with nice visuals and brief copy.
- Select the right ad format.
- Goal for low advert frequency.
- Time adverts strategically.
- Optimize your adverts with A/B testing.
- Regulate your opponents’ adverts.
In case your adverts aren’t performing in addition to you want, you need to use the advert relevance diagnostics to look for alternatives to enhance focusing on:
- Low-quality rating: Strive altering the audience to 1 that’s extra prone to respect the particular inventive within the advert.
- Low engagement fee rating: Refine your focusing on to succeed in people who find themselves extra prone to have interaction. Audience Insights is usually a nice assist right here.
- Low conversion fee rating: Goal a higher-intent viewers. This may very well be so simple as choosing “engaged consumers” below buy habits (see Tip #5). However it may additionally imply focusing on individuals who have an upcoming anniversary, or who’ve one other habits or life occasion that makes your services or products significantly related to them proper at this second.
Bear in mind, relevance is all about matching the best advert to the best viewers. Nobody advert can be related to everybody. Efficient focusing on is the one strategy to obtain a persistently excessive relevance rating. Check recurrently and purpose for an everyday Facebook focusing on replace to ensure you’re persevering with to focus on the best folks with the best content material.
An oft-overlooked possibility throughout the detailed focusing on choices for Facebook adverts is the flexibility to focus on individuals who have already expressed curiosity in making a purchase order from Facebook ads.
Choosing the acquisition habits Engaged Buyers limits your advert viewers to individuals who have clicked the Store Now button on a Facebook advert throughout the final week.
Whereas some Facebook customers would possibly scroll previous adverts, this feature ensures you attain individuals who have already (and really just lately) proven that they’re prepared to buy from advert content material.
To entry the Engaged Buyers focusing on possibility:
- Create a brand new advert set, or open an present advert set, and scroll all the way down to the Viewers part
- Beneath Detailed Targeting, kind Engaged Buyers within the search bar.
- Click on Engaged Buyers.
This tip is just a little bit totally different. It’s about focusing on your advert’s content material, quite than choosing the proper Facebook audience.
This idea was coined by MobileMonkey CEO and Inc. columnist Larry Kim. He suggests that
solely 2% of your content material will carry out effectively each on social and in search engine rankings, whereas additionally reaching excessive conversion charges. He argues that content material advertising and marketing is a quantity sport, and also you merely must create a number of “donkey” content material (you may guess what meaning) to get to the unicorns.
So what’s your unicorn content material? It’s that weblog put up that completely blows up in your social channels, climbs to the highest of the Google rankings, and drives a ton of visitors to your touchdown pages.
You’ll be able to’t predict what’s going to “go unicorn” primarily based on components historically used to outline nice content material (like nice writing, key phrases, and readability). As a substitute, you’ve acquired to maintain an in depth eye in your social media analytics and efficiency.
Whenever you spot overachieving content material, repurpose it as a Facebook advert. Make it into an infographic and a video. Check this content material in numerous codecs for your key audiences to make it work even more durable.
Most significantly, use the remainder of our Facebook advert focusing on tricks to ensure you match your unicorn content material to the viewers that’s most certainly to have interaction with it.
Facebook affords tons of focusing on choices. On the floor, the choices are divided into three fundamental classes: demographics, pursuits, and behaviors. However inside every of those classes, issues get fairly granular.
For instance, below demographics, you may select to focus on mother and father. Or, extra particularly, you might goal mother and father with toddlers.
Then, you may click on Slim Viewers so as to add further layers of focusing on. For instance, below demographics, you may select to restrict your Facebook audience primarily based on relationship standing and job business.
Take into consideration how these layers of focusing on mix to create a hyper-focused viewers. You may select to focus on divorced mother and father of toddlers who work in administration. And that’s simply taking a look at demographics.
Beneath Pursuits>Journey, you might then restrict your audience to people who find themselves excited about seaside holidays. Then, below behaviors, you may even additional slender your viewers to focus on frequent worldwide vacationers.
Do you see the place that is going? In the event you run a high-end seaside resort that gives a childcare program and no single complement, you might create a promotion that particularly targets single mother and father in management-level jobs who love seaside holidays and journey regularly.
In the event you market services or products tied to life occasions, even tangentially, you may goal individuals who have just lately moved, began a brand new job, gotten engaged or married. You’ll be able to goal folks of their birthday month, or main as much as their anniversary. You’ll be able to even goal folks whose mates have an upcoming birthday.
As you construct your viewers, you’ll see on the best aspect of the web page how small your viewers has develop into, in addition to your potential attain. In the event you get too particular, Facebook will let you understand.
This technique works greatest for particular promotions designed to focus on a exact viewers, quite than adverts to advertise your small business normally. Mix this layered Facebook advert focusing on with a touchdown web page that speaks on to the precise viewers for greatest outcomes.
Be aware: Every time you need to add one other stage of focusing on, you’ll want to click on Slim Viewers or Slim Additional. Every merchandise ought to say Should additionally match concerning the chosen standards.
After all, not each product or promotion is of course suited to the form of exact Facebook focusing on defined within the tip above.
Possibly you don’t know precisely which demographic or habits classes you need to goal with a selected advert. You solely have a broad sense of a class you’d like to focus on. So, what do you do if that Facebook audience is simply too giant?
Strive combining it with a second viewers, even when that second viewers appears fully unrelated.
For instance, let’s take into consideration creating an advert viewers for this GoPro video that includes LEGO boats:
To start out, we may construct an viewers of people who find themselves excited about GoPro, videography, or video cameras. Even limiting the viewers to folks aged 22 to 55 in the USA, that creates a possible viewers of 31.5 million folks.
Now, on this case, the video options LEGO boats. So, what’s the plain viewers so as to add in right here?
Yep, LEGO followers.
That cuts the potential viewers dimension down to six.2 million. And it could possible lead to a a lot increased engagement fee, since folks could be particularly within the video content material, not simply the product featured within the video.
On this case, we labored backwards from an present video. However you might additionally determine on two unrelated audiences to mix, then create a focused piece of content material to talk on to that group.
What in the event you’re simply getting began and also you don’t know but who your audience is? We’ve acquired an entire weblog put up on how one can begin to figure this out through audience research.
However it’s also possible to study so much by beginning with a broad Facebook advert focusing on technique. This works greatest for model consciousness campaigns quite than conversion-oriented adverts, however the info you study may help refine your conversion focusing on technique over time.
Create a brand new model consciousness marketing campaign with some very primary focusing on, comparable to a broad age vary inside a big geographic space. Facebook will then use its algorithms to find out the most effective folks to indicate your adverts to.
As soon as your advert has been working for a short while, you may verify Viewers Insights or Adverts Supervisor to see which varieties of individuals Facebook selected for your adverts, and the way they responded. This may help you perceive learn how to create your individual goal audiences for future campaigns.
Simply plan, handle and analyze natural and paid campaigns from one place with Hootsuite Social Promoting. See it in motion.