Does Posting Memes on Social Help to Increase Traffic to Your Web site? [Study]
Does posting memes assist to improve visitors to your web site?
This can be a key query, which actually relates to all types of participating social media posts – as a result of whereas a majority of these trending updates very clearly garner Likes and feedback, do they really profit the stats that basically matter to what you are promoting?
I imply, Likes and followers are nice, however what you want is conversions, relative to what meaning for what you are promoting. For SMT, we’re working to get as many individuals to learn our posts as attainable, and as you’ve probably observed, we’ve just lately been making an attempt out memes as a means to enhance engagement, and see what that will get us on this respect.
So what have we discovered? Right here’s a fast overview of the preliminary outcomes of our meme experiment.
First, a fast little bit of background…
We’re all the time trying to strive new issues, and check out the newest developments and processes, and never simply because it would assist us generate extra visitors and construct neighborhood, but in addition, as a result of that’s what we write about. If we’re going to write about it, we want to know and perceive it as a lot as attainable, so as to be sure that what we’re speaking is right, and is smart for our viewers.
On this respect, we’re all the time testing new approaches, apps, instruments, and so forth.
When it comes to posting, final yr, we tried out polls on Twitter and LinkedIn, and query posts on Fb, to see if they might assist drive extra engagement. And so they positively did – a majority of these audience-prompting updates garnered a heap of Likes and feedback. However after we cross-checked this towards Google Analytics monitoring, we didn’t see a giant uptick in classes or customers visiting the positioning.
That’s not to say that these aren’t helpful, however they weren’t shifting the needle in any important means on our key metrics. On the similar time, too many polls can get annoying. In our expertise, they’re an fascinating instrument to use, sparsely, however not a large driver of our final goals.
But, on the similar time, our social visitors, like all platforms, tends to have ups and downs – and in a down interval this yr, we determined to strive one thing new to clean up the feed and provides our viewers one thing else to have interaction with, and perhaps lighten the temper a bit on the similar time.
The inspiration on this occasion got here from SEMRush, who’ve additionally examined out memes as a method to enhance engagement, and construct neighborhood.
SEMRush’s expertise noticed them considerably improve their social engagement by posting well timed, on-trend, area of interest memes. So we thought we’d give it a strive, to see if that helps drive extra curiosity in our articles.
Step one, after all, is creating related, participating memes. Which isn’t all the time straightforward. A lot of our memes by no means made it out of check section, with some clearly failing when considered within the templates.
Some that we’ve posted additionally haven’t linked in the best way that we’d hoped.
However that is the sport – if you happen to’re going to publish memes, you’re going to have hits and duds, and also you simply have to reside with it. I think about it’s the identical as a comic, among the jokes work, some don’t. However ideally, extra of them get fun than not.
Which, fortunately, our memes have.
On common, the memes that we’ve posted are producing round 135 Likes on Fb, which has helped them generate considerably extra attain than our common publish, whereas they’re additionally performing robust on each Twitter and LinkedIn.
And so they’re enjoyable. The best way I view them is just like the comedian part of the normal newspaper, a light-hearted second between the information updates and informational components.
The elevated engagement clearly has some advantages in boosting algorithmic attain (if individuals have interaction with certainly one of your posts, the algorithm is extra probably to present them extra), in addition to constructing neighborhood across the SMT model. However the important thing query is – ‘do they really get extra individuals clicking by to the positioning?’
In our case, when evaluating our general social media efficiency towards the earlier 3 months earlier than we began posting memes, we’ve seen a 12% improve in classes from social, and a 16% improve in customers.
That’s not a large shift, however if you’re working with the ebbs and flows of referral visitors, in addition to adjustments in analytics due to shifting knowledge laws, any improve is constructive, and a double-digit soar is certainly well worth the effort.
That is solely round a month of knowledge, so it’s not definitive, and there are additionally different components to contemplate that might affect the outcomes. However the numbers, up to now, counsel that it’s value sticking with – and as famous, it’s enjoyable too, including a bit extra relatability to our presence, as opposed simply the newest information.
Just a few different notes:
- Some commenters are going to take your memes actually, regardless of it’s that you just publish. There’ll all the time be a few feedback like ‘nicely, truly, the fact is that…’ Sure. We all know. These will not be meant to be literal, they’re a second of light-heartedness in amongst our common, advertising and marketing strategy-focused information updates.
- We’ve discovered that extra common memes work higher than trending ones. A few memes the place we’ve tried to faucet into information occasions, just like the adjustments to Twitter verification, haven’t carried out in addition to jokes about extra frequent social media marketing experiences. This additionally, after all, relates to the memes themselves, and whether or not they’re truly humorous, however in a number of examples, trending matters haven’t been as massive a success.
- Each meme is a little bit of a threat. You’re making an attempt to discover commonalities along with your viewers, and a few issues that you just may suppose are frequent won’t resonate. You want to know your area of interest, and know your neighborhood, which takes some experimentation – and a whole lot of analysis (I’ve been writing about social media developments for eight years)
- One man on LinkedIn retains saying that he’s envious that we’re ready to get these memes accepted by administration. For people who don’t know, SMT is an editorial workforce of two (2) individuals. Approval, on this sense, isn’t precisely a barrier.
- Does it take a very long time to provide you with them? Not likely. We normally do them in batches or round 10 at a time, then schedule them out on totally different days/instances throughout FB, Twitter and LinkedIn. We are able to make 10 or so in, perhaps, a few hours, as soon as each week and a half or so. Not a significant dedication.
- We’re at the moment scheduling round one meme a day on every platform, once more, taking that newspaper comedian method. Perhaps we miss a day right here and there, however that’s the overall goal, as one thing to maintain that engagement flowing, and maintain the leisure worth up.
Look, it’s not essentially a stroll within the park to maintain developing with humorous memes – and it could be that we run out of concepts at some stage and immediately it turns into much more tough. It’s additionally not for everybody. Developing with a (comparatively) intelligent joke that matches a meme template doesn’t all the time come straightforward, and there are days if you simply don’t have it, regardless of how onerous you stare on the display.
However for a minor time dedication, it does appear, a minimum of at this stage, like this can be a great way to assist have interaction your viewers, which might additionally drive direct visitors advantages.
We’ll publish one other overview of our meme expertise three months in.